Valley Youth Hockey is a Tier II association based at Onondaga Nation Arena in Nedrow and at Meachem Rink in Syracuse, N.Y. We welcome boys and girls from ages 4-18 to play at several levels, from beginning skaters to recreational hockey to highly competitive travel teams. Valley is affiliated with USA Hockey and the New York State Amateur Hockey Association. Valley Hockey was created to provide opportunities to City of Syracuse Youths.
- In 2013 VYHA celebrated our 40th Anniversary of youth hockey in Syracuse
- Valley Youth Hockey is the largest youth hockey association in the City of Syracuse, and one of the largest associations in Central New York
- For the 2016-17 season, Valley Hockey will field single birth-year travel teams at the squirt, peewee, and bantam levels
- Among the most affordable in annual fees and travel costs in CNY Hockey
- Games on Saturdays and Sundays
- Teams practice twice per week
- We work to ensure a stable practice schedule with few changes for the entire season, allowing kids to pursue additional extracurricular activities
- Summer 2010, new boards/glass installed
- Winter 2011, new cooling tower stack installed
- Summer 2012, banners rehung and scorers table enclosed
- Summer 2013, new Zamboni
- Summer 2014, new ice pad installed
- Spring 2016, retractable bleachers installed
Tsha'hon'nonyen'dakhwa', or Onondaga Nation Arena:
- Tsha'hon'nonyen'dukhwa' is located on the Onondaga Nation.
- The building was constructed in 2001.
- The arena has seating on both sides and has seating for 2,000 fans. The arena also has multiple dressing rooms ready for tournament play. Fans can also enjoy sandwiches and burgers at the FAST BREAK cafe.
- in summer 2010, totally new cooling system and playing surface
High School Ties - the majority of Valley members move on to play hockey for:
- Syracuse Cougars (formerly Corcoran Hockey): Syracuse City Schools, Lafayette, Westhill, Marcellus, Solvay & Bishop Ludden
- Other schools represented by players at Valley – CBA/JD, FM, Baldwinsville, Liverpool
- Many Valley Players have moved on to play at the Junior and College level
First Strides – first time skaters, free program, skating only, ages 4-8
Initiation Player/Mini Mites (IP or 6U) – first time skaters & beginning hockey players, ages 4-8
Mites (8U) – developing hockey players, ages 5-8
Squirts (10U) – age 9 & 10
Peewee (12U) – age 11 & 12
Bantam (14U) – age 13 & 14
Midget (16U/18U) – age 15-18
Fees & Fundraising
We work hard to keep our fees low so hockey is affordable for our families. To help with this, families are asked to help with fundraising.
- Valley Youth Hockey believes the good behavior of our players will create a safer environment for all who participate in our association!
- Any penalty warranting a game misconduct or generally offensive behavior, on or off the ice, is subject to a review by our discipline committee
- All members of USA Hockey - players, parents, coaches & administrators - are subject to a code of conduct when registering and are expected to conduct themselves in a specific manner. In 2011 we expanded our discipline policy by instituting a Valley Player & Parent code of conduct, which will enforce these community standards. In this effort to ensure a safe and respectful environment, we hope to bring greater enjoyment of the game for all.
- We believe that the more coaches we have, the better support our kids will receive as they develop their hockey skills.
- Valley reimburses coaches for their clinic fees.
- Coaches will be invited to participate in clinics that will be run by some of our area's best hockey coaching talent. This will provide our coaches with a baseline and new angle on drill work, helping to improve overall development of our kids’ skills.
- Valley Hockey's First Strides Skating School (FSSS) is a free program that teaches kids of ages 4-8 the basics of skating. This weekly "learn to skate" program, offered in two sessions during each hockey season, is staffed by experienced volunteer coaches. Many Valley Hockey players learned to skate and love hockey through this program.
- Valley strongly supports USA Hockey’s American Development Model (ADM) for the 8U Mite Age Group. The ADM enhances our players’ skills across all areas of the game.
- During the off-season, Valley organizes specific skill development sessions with outside experts, from power skating to shooting, in an effort to revitalize and enhance the skills of all players in our association.
- Valley organizes a spring hockey session for kids that are interested in skating past the traditional end of the hockey season.
Valley History and Tradition
Valley Youth Hockey has been organized as a group since 1973. However, there is a long, strong and proud history of kids playing hockey in the Valley section of Syracuse, stretching back further than the official start of our association. Valley alumni are still playing and giving back to hockey associations across the CNY area.
Top 10 Reasons to join Valley Hockey
||American Developmental Model based program
||Family oriented, community-based association > Valley first!
||Strong discipline committee, practice, policy and enforcement
||Skill development focus
||Competitive team play at all levels
||Upgraded facilities with a master plan for additional improvements
||Dedicated players, coaches & families
||Motivated Board of Directors with open input from the association
||Maximum ice for an affordable price!